If a week is a long time in politics, then a year is a lifetime.
When Harrow Conservatives took over control of the Council, we inherited a local authority which was only 18 months away from bankruptcy, with services which weren’t being delivered properly to residents, and a Council which took the maximum from local people in Council Tax and gave nothing back.
We are proud to have introduced a number of positive changes which means that residents are now getting more for their money from Harrow Council.
- Introduced 1-hour free parking in both on-street bays and Council car parks. Over a million free hours of parking have been used by residents so far!
- Introduced a free bulky waste collection for up to 4 large items per year.
- Doubled the number of visits residents can book to the Forward Drive Recycling Centre.
- Secured a £445,000 grant which has funded the refurbishment of all 36 public tennis courts.
- Issued over 600 fines for fly-tipping in 2022/23 compared to only 82 under Labour in 2021/22.
- Created a new, modern logo for Council with the cost totalling less than £500 (compared to £86,000 when Labour-run Haringey rebranded their logo).
- Reduced the annual garden waste collection fee from £75 to £65.
- Forced the Mayor of London's flawed decision to expand the ULEZ to go to court for Judicial Review.
All these positive changes have been achieved while also fixing Harrow Council’s finances.
In February, Conservative Councillors agreed the first balanced multi-year Council budget in many years. Under Labour’s mismanagement, the Council reserves (savings) were constantly raided to cover day to day costs.
Harrow Conservatives have balanced the books while maintaining frontline services and protecting our most vulnerable residents.